I have become a huge fan of slice ‘n bake cookies, ever since trying them out before the Thanksgiving holiday. They are so easy to make and they prevent you from falling into the “I only wanted 2 cookies and now I have 24” problem. It also helps keep you from having froze, freezer burnt cookies taking up room in your freezer, that are never as good as the freshly baked ones were.
Reasons I love Slice ‘n Bake Cookies:
- They are easy to make with just about any cookie recipe.
- They usually come out better than regular cookie dough, since chilling them helps hold them together.
- You can store them in the freezer until you are ready to eat them.
- You only slice off as many as you want at that time.
- You never run out of cookies (theoretically)
- You always have something to bake if you need it – when company drops by unexpectedly, when your kids ask you for some, or maybe when you need your house to smell like freshly baked goods instead of dogs and kids.
One of the best Slice ‘n Bake Cookies are chocolate chip cookies. These are a favorite for most people, are easy to make and can be made even healthier, without anyone knowing any better. I used farm fresh eggs, a gluten-free flour, vegan butter, allergy-friendly chocolate chips and flax seed in mine. I shared them with myself, my husband and anyone who stopped by. No one knew any wiser and no one asked me the usual “So what did you add to these cookies?” question. I call that a win any day.
Try these in your favorite cookie variety or try playing with the ingredients to find your preference. They are a great way to have a treat on hand, without feeling like you have to indulge in too many. These slice and bake are perfect for portion control and balancing out your diet.